Friday, July 10, 2009

Sunset III




Photo #1: Tools
These are the tools I needed in order to evenly roll the papers. Starting with the bottom (dark blue), I rolled each sheet around the pencil to get a tight roll. The small silver ring has a diameter of about 1/2". I used this to adjust the diameter of each roll to the proper size, one by one. I needed to use the Glue Dots to secure the rolls until I would be able to wrap them with the gold thread. I slid the small paint brush handle inside each roll to press the roll against the Glue Dot. This was the only way I could firmly press the rolled up paper against the glue without crushing the roll.

Photo #2: Wrapping
I threaded a needle with the gold thread, tied a large knot, and brought the thread up from the underside of the paper. As added insurance, I stuck a Glue Dot over the knot. Beginning with the top (deep purple) roll, I wrapped each paper, working my way down the row. At the bottom, I brought the thread to the back of the paper and pulled it across to the other side of the rolls before working my way back up. Once again, I pulled the thread to the back side, tied a knot, and secured it with a Glue Dot.

Photo #3: Embellishments
As I was completing the wrapping process, I considered what else my collage might need. The papers would make a great statement on their own, but the piece still needed "dressing." This is one of my favorite steps - finding the perfect embellishments in my vast stash of flea market treasures. I made a quick glance around my workspace and spotted the split bamboo piece. Of course! The paper rolls could not just float on the green sheet, so the bamboo would provide a sort of hanger. Once the hanger was in place, I added a bit more gold to the mix with handmade tassles. A polymer tile I'd previously made of my chop* completed the composition.

*This chop is my name written in Chinese.

I'll post the framed project later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks sis for reminding me of your blog!!! I looked and read and wondered of the beautiful work you do with your art.

little sis