Monday, July 19, 2010

Poignant Phrases

Most of my life was spent in very large cities. Bumper-to-bumper traffic, pollution, crime, Big Box stores - you know the scene. I now live in a rather rural part of the country. After 6 years, I still get a thrill on the way to the market. Looking across the valley's farmlands to the ever-changing colors of the Holyoke Range makes me think, Lord, it's really gorgeous here! I guess I'm not so hurried now. If I'm going somewhere that's about 25 miles away, I can pretty much count on it taking the same amount of time every single trip. There's simply no such thing as "traffic"!

Well, the following happens to me, not infrequently, when driving around here. My mind will wander just a bit, and something I see will (for lack of better description) simply put a few words, or a complete phrase, into my head, and I must pull off the road and write it down in my ever-present Art Journal!

I'm thinking this image I'm getting is maybe going to be a poem someday and I must get it onto paper or it'll be lost forever. The thing is - I'm not really a poet, and the poems I do try to force out of these phrases are always rather lame. Just the same, I can't help myself.

Maybe someday, I'll share a few here. maybe...

No comments: