Sunday, November 30, 2008

Asking the Experts

I just returned from a trip to visit our daughter and some other relatives in the Northwest. Great week, lots of catching up to do, and even enough time to just hang together. This sort of thing is rare when we live so far away from loved ones.

More than once during our visit I was reminded of how detached I am from what's happening with technology today. Case in point: I humbled myself to ask my daughter to show me how to text message. I know - I know - I'm probably one of the last holdouts, but I really haven't felt I needed to know. I have no problem leaving a voice mail if someone cannot take my call. I still don't think I need to know, but at least I can do it if I have to. While waiting at the airport long before dawn was even thinking of cracking this morning, I thought of a message to text my daughter. Of course I wouldn't dream of waking her with this completely silly message, but in this case, texting would be the perfect medium. Sadly, after taking about 5 minutes to type the six word message, I entered something I wanted to correct. I couldn't figure out how to backspace, pressed one wrong button and my whole sentence disappeared. I never did get the message out until our layover in Chicago when I simply called her.

Reminded me of a quote from The Little Prince: "Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them." Antoine de Saint-Exupery



1 comment:

Joannie Stangeland said...

Oh, I can just see the picture from the book.

"C'est un chapeau!"

"Non."

I'm glad you had a safe trip home. It was so much fun to see you both.