Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Jumping in with Both Feet

I'm taking the plunge today. Just a baby blogger - first time for everything, I guess.

I am a visual artist (medium: paper and mixed-media). I cre
ate paper quilts, decorative boxes and mixed-media collage. I have also done time as a professional storyteller, and it's something that remains near and dear to my heart.

I'm currently working on boxes - trying to gear up for the holidays. I've been making these specialty boxes since 1998 and have sold over 400. I re-purpose old wooden boxes that I collect at flea markets and tag sales. After prepping them with a good sanding, I cover them inside and out with decorative and handmade papers. Then I add 2 little treasures (also flea market finds) - one goes on the lid of the box and a related item goes inside. I try to achieve that "aha" moment, or, at the very least a whimsical surprise. I believe art should make you smile.

I am currently co-president of the Shelburne Arts Co-op in Shelburne Falls, MA. Our gallery, which is in its 10th year, features over 50 regional artists. www.ShelburneArtsCoop.com.
Take a look at our website for more information on our co-op, our members and our art.

The economy is fragile, to say the least, and it's going to be a tough road ahead for small businesses. Our arts co-op is always looking for creative, frugal ways to attract customers. October is Co-op Month here, and local co-ops of all sorts are making efforts to support each other with group advertising, posters and special displays.
Do you have any ideas to share? I'd love to hear from you.




6 comments:

Joannie Stangeland said...

Yea, Jane!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to share and link other creative individuals. During this crunchy time we all need to support the arts for food may feed our bodies but the arts feed our souls!

Sally said...

Hi, Jane,
I love your blog - so warm and personal - and I'll add the link to your profile on the co-op website.

Sally

Jane said...

Thanks for all your support and sound advice, my friends. I WILL be posting more photos of my art soon. I'm having a bit too much fun doing this blog, however, and not getting enough work done.

Unknown said...

Jane, Your art is something that comes from your heart and I feel so fortunate to see and enjoy your wonderful creations. Your ideas are fresh and new, your expression of them; delightful. Thanks for enriching our world with your art.

Pauline said...

Way to go Jane. Your boxes are still beautiful. I still have my gift box from you on my dressing table. It reminds me of you every day. I am still doing rubber stamping and love it. LOved your blog and will watch it regularly.
Pauline