Friday, October 3, 2008

Paper Quilt and Collage

I'm off for a shift at the Shelburne Arts Co-op today. Sun is shining, temperature is crisp, and the fall colors are performing admirably. Welcome Leaf Peepers!

A few photos of my 2 other art forms are included here.

To make my paper quilts I use leftover scraps of the precious papers from my boxes. I adhere the scraps onto a substrate then cover the resulting patchwork with a large, reversible (2 different colored papers fused together) sheet. I sew (by hand or machine) on the top sheet then carefully cut between stitched lines. I peel back the top sheet to reveal the papers underneath AND the reverse side of the top sheet. I have these pieces professionally framed using museum quality glass.

Paper quilt, "Koi" SOLD

My collages are done on various substrates (watercolor papers [as in sample here], canvas, wood, 3-D objects, etc.). I also have these professionally framed.

Collage "Cape"
Framing is a huge expense and this figures greatly into my pricing. I simply do not have the expertise or equipment to do my own framing unless I go with standard frames I can order on-line. I tried that route, but somehow my finished art never quite fit into the pre-made frames. DESIGNING them to fit standard frames is another option I've tried, but I run into problems with the 3-D part of my work which requires special mounting techniques and spacers so the work has room to "breathe". Always something new to learn I guess.

No comments: